Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Good Start On New Portrait

After work yesterday I set up my exhibit in the High School library. The display turned out very nicely. The only concern that I had was that the tabletop display easels that I chose couldn’t be opened fully to their designed size due to the depth of the shelf. Fortunately they had rubber feet on the legs which should prevent them from sliding and falling off the shelf. The librarian commented on how nice the paintings looked in the easels because it raised them off the top of the bookshelf making the paintings more visible. She even liked the idea enough that she might order some so that she can display student art in the same manner.

This past weekend I was able to get a very good start on a new portrait. I completed the sketch and began the base painting. Trying to not get carried away with the background. The reference image that I am using is very busy, having been take in a bar. While I want the background to be recognizable as a bar, I don’t want that to compete or draw attention away from the primary painting subject matter. Always a challenge when using a digital image for reference. Using the squinting technique as a way to blur the background.

Base Sketch
Base Painting
Visit my website