Sunday, March 29, 2020

Covid-19 Coping Week 3

Spending most of my socially distant time, this week, in my studio. I was able to finish up the fourth in a series of four portraits of my grandchildren. These works are a departure for me from a traditional painted portrait look. Over this past winter I focused quite a lot of time on learning how to paint digitally. I tried a number of apps, tablets and programs in order to find tools I was comfortable with using. It was also important that the end product not be just a print of a digital painting but an acrylic or oil painting on canvas panel. With that in mind, I ended up deciding on the following workflow:
  • Artworks were going to be conceptualized, drawn and painted in an app called Infinite Painter This app is only available in ios or android. That being said, I used a Wacom One Creative Pen Display connected to my Samsung Note 10 Plus phone in order to take advantage of this particular app.
  • Digital paintings were cleaned up and finalized on my MacBook Pro connected to the same pen display using a painting application called Corel Painter The final digital painting was then printed for reference.
  • The line work of the digital reference print was redrawn on the canvas panel and rendered in color using acrylic paint.
My plan is to use this same workflow for another series of paintings. Hope you enjoy.

"Emery With Water Wing," 11x14inches

"Riley Floating," 11x14inches


"Colton Sleeping," 6x8inches




















"Finnley Sitting," 6x8inches