Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Pandemic Pandamonium

Didn't post Sunday as I should have. Like everybody else, I have been consumed with navigating the corona virus do's and don'ts and local shutdowns. There have been many and wanted to make sure that my pandemic lifestyle changes were being handled before making art. I was supposed to go on vacation today for a couple of weeks to visit my son, his wife and the granddaughters. Had to cancel that trip last week, and I am glad that I did. The situation with the virus has been so fluid that I didn't want to end up in Florida with no way back to the island two weeks later. Miss them terribly though.

Back in the studio, I got started on the fourth portrait transforming a digital painting to a rendering on a canvas panel with acrylic paint. The base drawing on the panel is complete and I was able to start blocking in colors. My focus mid week changed to photography when, at a friend's house for dinner (before the social distancing thing), I was shown her new DSLR camera body just purchased. She could tell that I was handling the camera with envy and offered me her old canon DSLR body for free. Amazing offer. She told me that she didn't have any lenses to go with it and gave me some advice. To see if I want to get back into photography by investing in good glass. If I didn't like it, then I had nothing invested in the body, and would always be able to re-sell the lenses. So that is what I did. I spent the rest of the week and weekend consumed with trying to find the best glass I could afford.

My friend dropped off the camera on Sunday afternoon. It turns out the body was a Canon t4i, which was the last DSLR I owned before giving it to my son in favor of using a phone as camera for the last 3 years. When I took it out of the bag it immediately felt familiar. At the time I first purchased this same camera, I had also obtained a third party book (for Kindle) on making the most of this particular camera. Primarily to learn where to begin with using a camera that comes with a 370 page owner's manual. While waiting for my lenses and SD card to arrive from B&H Photo I started re-reading all I could to about the camera.

The lenses, protective filters and SD card arrived yesterday. I spent the rest of the day playing with my new toy. The photos that follow were not taken with the t4i but with my Samsung note 10 plus, which has a remarkable camera.

My porch at night

A wide look at the neighborhood at night